Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Mi Viaje a Portugal!

Portugal was awesome! I went on a school-organized trip and it was nice to bond with girls from my program (including Ithaca people). The bus ride was about 4-5 hours, but we got to stop at these awesome rest stops that had rows and rows of cookies.. yet another opportunity for everyone to get obese, which is always welcomed... In Lisboa (Lisbon in English), we stayed at a really nice hostel in the commercial district. It was my first time staying in a hostel and I really enjoyed it because I was in a room with 5 other girls from my program (4 of which were from Ithaca, hehe) and it felt just like camp or college aka fun. I think that's one thing I would change about Sevilla- living with more people my age! It's true that there are so many advantages to living with a family, but I am a social being and I need to be living with people my age instead of my old senora.

Anyway, we did tons of sight-seeing, visiting many more places than I can remember the names of. But, the city is awesome and definitely worth a visit. Barrio Alto was one of my favorite places because the streets were so funky and there were all sorts of eclectic (and expensive) boutiques to window-shop in. And everything was easily accessible via metro- we pretty much got the metro down pat in the few days that we were there.

We also went to Sintra, which is about 30 min. outside the city. There's an ancient Muslim castle there, which was really awesome. I think in total, we visited about 3 castles.. which means that we are basically royalty already. Awesome architecture and great views.

I think my favorite part of the trip was visiting the Oceanario. It was a tad expensive at 9.35 euros with a student discount, but we spent a solid 2 hours at the amazingness that is the Oceanario. It was so fun because we were surrounded by excited kids (and we were excited kids) and there was so much awesome stuff to see. And, I made a new friend in an adorable Portuguese boy that must have been like 2 years old. He was so excited about the fish, that he was pretty much screaming with excitement. He would point to a fish and look at me to acknowledge his finding. I'm not quite sure what he was saying because Portuguese really sounds nothing like Spanish (although the writing is more similar), but I think he was screaming "AQUI! AQUI!" It was sooo adorable. And when I left to go to a different room, he said "CIAO!"

The only think I didn't like about the city was the lack of vegetarian food. In Sevilla, it is at least semi-possible to eat food with no fish or meat, but in Portugal, it was nearly impossible. Like, at the restaurants there was literally nothing on the menu that wasn't meat. I survived on side salads (not too bad) and amazing Portuguese cheese. We also had amazing Sangria filled with fruit and cinnamon sticks in a big pitcher : ).

Here are my pictures (in no particular order):



Now, I'm off to Paris!

No comments: