Friday, February 15, 2008

: )



hmmm... Spain is awesome. I still have moments when I'm like, "I miss home!" but it's gotten so much better and I'm starting to appreciate my experience here more. I really like my teacher and my intensive class (mostly because it's basically all vocab and minimal grammar).. although it is still hard to sit through 4 hours of class each day. In just two weeks I feel like I've come a long way- I can now understand most of what my teacher is saying (which is all in Spanish because we are literally not allowed to speak English AT ALL) and I am also speaking more in class. (And I'm KIND OF understanding my host mother a little bit more...)

Every day in class someone presents a Spanish news article and we have really interesting conversations about the different topics. I am so interested in the Spanish perspective on things and I always like to hear what they think of us Americans. EVERYTHING in the U.S. seems bigger, the cars, the portions, and even the laundry machines. They also conserve energy and water here soooo much more than we do in the U.S. For example, we turn on the hall light to find our way to our room, but before we get into the room, we turn off the hall light. It seems like there is so much less waste here.. we should be taking a lesson from the Spanish! (Mom & Dad- I will definitely be leaving the lights on less when I come home!)

So, today Norah, Theresa, and I ate lunch in el Parque de Maria Luisa (aka the most beautiful place ever) and then after that Norah and I went to find this museum that we found in her guide book (and the same one that I encountered when I briefly got lost today). We got there via Sierpes and I treated Norah to a yummy postre from a fabulous bakery because she had a REALLY bad day.. and we found the museum (which was free because we're students) and as soon as I walked in it was like AHHHHH (in a good way) because I felt so cultured. The majority of the art depicted JESUS CHRIST, but there was also some other cool stuff and the building and courtyard was SOO pretty.

Ok, I must go digest my tortilla de patata (which is not like a tortilla at all) because I am STUFFED. And also we are trying to find a flamenco performance tonight...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always such a treat to click on "Laura's Blog" on my desktop and ...voila (sorprender?), you've added something new!
Then, I cut and paste words I don't know into Google and, voila--now I know what you are talking about. You have a loyal readership here!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of museums and Jesus Christ -- in 1967, in Florence, for some reason my friend & I felt that we had to see ALL of the famed Ufitzi gallery (museum). It was definitely overload -- 47 rooms of Jesus on the cross. But it would have been sensory overload regardless of the subject matter. By the last third, we were practically RUNNING through the rooms of the gallery -- I don't know why we just did't exit. Since then, I've learned to tune in to what my senses could absorb in a museum ("you don't have to see it all, Steve").

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time; love your blog. Back in the "cave man days" we used ... POSTCARDS to communicate to our friends & families back in the US.

Luke said...

haha, i like how JESUS CHRIST is capitalized. classic.

Seth said...

Man, sounds like you're rockin' Sevilla pretty well! These parques sound awesome, as do picnics. It's too cold up in London to have a sunny picnic.

Totally jealous, haha.
And bee tee dubs, todo ira bien really IS a great song! Thanks!!