Thursday, February 7, 2008

Mi Ciudad Nuevo


So I am finally seeming to get in the swing of things in Sevilla, but my schedule is not ideal because (for now, during the "intensive" period) I have class from 5:15-9:15 M-F... This means that I don't get to eat dinner until close to 10pm! I am hoping that my normal schedule will be better (and I will have more time to do the work they give us). I am starting to understand my host mother more, but kinda-sorta not really. For the most part, however, I understand my teachers, though they speak very fast. 

And even though I've only been here a week, I have a new appreciation for all those foreigners who live in NYC and have trouble speaking English. I now know firsthand what it is like to be in a new city and not be fluent in the country's language! But, I am grateful for the Spanish that I do know because it would be a lot more difficult to live here if I didn't have any grasp of the language. (There are many people who speak English here, but not everyone does.)

I am gaining some confidence in the arena of finding my way around because although many of the streets en El Centro are narrow and difficult to navigate, I am pretty decent at using public transportation (at least to and from class). Now that I have a monthly bus pass, taking the bus/tram is convenient, but I think in the end it usually only saves me about 10-12 min. or so...

I am also excited to hang out with my cousins' family friends who are living in Sevilla for a year. They live near the cathedral in El Centro and Nalani (who is 16) invited me over for lunch!

Also: I took about a million pictures during our school trip today to Alcazar, the royal palace in Sevilla and I will try to post some of them later! (And I learned that if you want to see the pictures that I post in a larger size, you can just click on them.)

xoxo Laura

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Laur. Happy to see you updated my favorite blog....Curious about the photo--is it your apartment building?

laura said...

Mom- Unforch, this beautiful building is not mine. It's one of my favorites, though, and is located in El Centro.